Sunday, March 14, 2010

The only exception.

A friend asked me if I think he's the One.

I'm not one to go all romantic and sentimental on my affairs especially with my friends. And honestly, I am not a fan of cheesy girlfriends who cling to their boyfriends like gum on your hair. I guess I'm more realistic because I've been there. I've had my fair share of high hopes and expectations only to be deflated by the harsh realities. So I don't practice writing my signature with a new surname or declare my love everlasting when nothing is certain. I don't imagine a dream house or suddenly come up with an idea for a wedding motif. (Not that I find anything wrong with people who do that, it's just not who I am.)

So labelling a person as "The One" never really came to mind. Not because I don't believe in whatever it is we share but because I refuse to put a person up a pedestal with such a compelling label.

But I do acknowledge that the feeling is real. I know what it's like to suddenly have warm, fuzzy feelings churning inside your stomach, and to have your cheek muscles suddenly pull themselves up into a smile for no apparent reason. I know what it's like to be so completely comfortable with someone that even unpleasant gases or awkward situations don't embarrass you anymore. I know what it's like to suddenly see someone in your future, and not cringe by the thought of it. I know. It happens. It's happening.

I told her I honestly don't know. But as Paramore sings it,


"But I'm on my way to believing."

No comments:

Post a Comment